A Scurvy Dog a Day Keeps Davy Jones Away! For the Buccaneer on the go, we give you Scurvy Dogs. A tasty treat that is easy to fix and will prevent Scurvy. Have one or two with a Corona Beer and a lime wedge.
Without further adieu, here is how you make it.
How to Make Scurvy Dogs
- Hot Dog Buns
- 1 package Hotdogs
- 1 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 small Can of Beans
- 1 small Can of Green Chillies
- 1/2 small Onion
- 1 small Can of Chopped Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 small Can of Tomato Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp of Cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne
- Pepper to Taste
- 1 Cup Cheese
- Cilantro as needed
- 1/4 Lime for the Scurvy Dog and 1/4 Lime for the Beer
- 1 Corona Beer
- In a pan brown Ground Beef until thoroughly cooked.
- To the pan add the Beans, Fire Roasted Tomatoes, Onions, Green Chillies, Tomato Paste, Chili Powder, Cumin, Cayenne, Pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Cut Scurvy Dogs lengthwise and cook in a skillet with butter on medium heat until done. Remove the Scurvy Dogs and set aside.
- Place Hot Dog Buns face down on skillet and toast until golden brown. Turn off heat and remove buns.
- Place the Hot Dog Bun on a plate with the Scurvy Dog on top.
- Spoon on Chilly Mix, squeeze 1/4 lime wedge over the chilly mix, sprinkle with Cheese and Cilantro.
- Serve with a Corona Beer and Lime Wedge to keep the Scurvy at bay.
To be honest I can’t promise that you will not get scurvy if you eat one of these a day. it’s caused by a deficiency of vitamin C. In the days of old the British Navy would give the sailors a lime a day to prevent scurvy. That is how the British got the nickname Limeys. The term is thought to have originated in the 1850s as lime-juicer, later shortened to “limey”, and originally used as a derogatory word for sailors in the British Royal Navy.
And for those Buccaneers that are going to be privateering on the blue for extended periods without access to refrigeration, you can plan ahead by canning your Scurvy Dogs. If canned correctly, they will last 1 or 2 months without refrigeration.