Mozzarella Chicken, Easy to Make and Tasty to Eat
- 4 small chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes mix
- ¼ teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato pesto
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup monterrey jack cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups pasta
- 1 pound of carrots chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown suggar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- chopped parsley or basil + pasta or crusty bread
- CHICKEN: Sprinkle the chicken with a pinch of pepper on both sides. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat with the olive oil. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side until the chicken is completely seared.
- TOMATO SAUCE: Preheat the oven on the broiler setting. Add the onions to the oil remaining in the pan. If there isn’t any, add in about ½ teaspoon and sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes until the soften, add the garlic and let cook for 30 seconds. Add the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, dried basil, and pesto and stir to combine. When the sauce reaches a simmer, add a ¼ cup of water, lower the heat, cover and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the sauce thickens a bit. Season with pepper to taste.
- Sweet Carrots: Chop 1 pound of carrots and place in an oven safe dish. Cover with brown sugar and butter. Cook in over at 350 for 20 minutes.
- ASSEMBLE: Nestle the chicken breasts into the sauce and using a spoon, cover the chicken with sauce. Place in the over for 20 minutes. 5 minutes before the chicken is done add cheese on top of chicken and cook until the cheese gets nice and bubbly and just melts. Top with chopped parsley or basil ribbons. Serve on top of cheesy pasta and sweet carrots on the side.